Monday, April 20, 2015

Week 1 in the Field

La Sallez

Well Ive had my first week here in Tuxtla, and its crazy! A saying that one of the elders always said in the MTC was, out of the frying pan, into the fire, and its so true! For one thing, its really hot here, but I love it. Its really not too bad, the humidity is just weird. The other thing is that I thought I understood spanish pretty well, but I was way wrong! Its getting better, but for the most part, I just try to listen during our lessons and occasionally I understand a phrase here or there. But its way cool when Im able to understand more things.

So my new companion is Hermana Dansie! Shes from Idaho, and she actually went to Dixie for a semester before she came on her mission. I was pretty happy to have an english speaking companion I do have to say. But we try to talk in spanish as much as possible, because thats the only way that I will be able to learn, and its good, I still dont know a ton, but Im learning. Shes way nice though, and Im the first person that shes trained, so we are kind of learning together. 

Tuxtla is a lot bigger than I thought it would be. I thought it would be like Saint George, but I was wrong. I pretty much just follow Hermana Dansie around because I usually have no idea where we are, but its getting better with time. We go run the streets every morning and thats helping me to learn the area better. 

This week we had a baptism! It was good, and the spirit was really strong. To be honest though, it was really hard because I dont understand Zoila, and I dont know her at all. But when we have had lessons, I can feel the spirit, and I can feel that she knows this gospel is true. Her son is a convert, and he was able to baptize her. It was way cool because she was actually really sick the day of her baptism, but her son gave her a blessing and she was able to be baptized and shes been feeling better. 

One really cool experience this week was with a recent convert. So we are supposed to teach recent converts after they are baptized too, and we stopped by to visit Ricardo. The lesson was mostly Ricardo and Hermana Dansie talking, but at one point I was thinking of an experience and that i should share it. I did, and after the lesson I asked Hermana Dansie if it even went along with what they were talking about, and it did! It was way cool to have that experience and feel the spirit. 

But overall, Im trying to have patience with the language, thats the hardest part. Hermana Dansie just says to give it a couple weeks and I will be good. So Im excited for that.

Its hard, but Im really happy to be here. I know that the language will come as long as I keep working hard. Its really a cool experience to be able to share the gospel everyday. 

I love you all!

Hermana Leavitt


No comments:

Post a Comment